We always recommend having a professional movers pack and move your belongings to your new home. However, we understand that having a moving company pack for you may be out of your budget. If you do decide to pack your belongs yourself, we recommend you follow the following tips.
- Start early. The last thing you want is to have an entire house to pack a few days before your move. You don’t really know how much stuff you have until you have to pack and move it. Create a game plan that suits your schedule. We recommend packing away all items you don’t use on a regular basis a month in advance. Items used more frequently should be progressively packed the week before your move. Items used on a daily basis should be packed in a bag the day before your move. Packing these items in a bag will allow you to easily access them before, during, and after the move.
- Choose your boxes carefully. Many self packers tend to pack heavy items in large boxes, but the opposite is recommended. Fill large boxes with light stuff such as pillows and linens. Fill small boxes with heavier items like books. If you overload a large box the box is likely to break. Smaller boxes for heavier items provides more stability.
- Do not empty your dressers. By leaving your clothes in your drawers you save the movers a lot of time and effort. This will also save you money because you won’t have to buy extra boxes. We do recommend emptying drawers that have paperwork, pens, or electronics. These types of items tend to roll around and can easily be damaged.
- Don’t pack air. To ensure that your items are secure it is best practice to fill each box completely. Leaving air pockets may lead to broken belongings. We recommend using packing paper to fill those spots. If you don’t have packing on hand some good alternatives include: towels, pillows, or newspaper. When closing each box if there is a little resistance that’s a good sign that your items are tightly packed and secure.
- Label boxes on two sides. Mark each box with its contents and destination on a minimum of 2 sides. Make these notes as detailed as possible to save you time. Labeling a box “Master Bedroom” will lead to you opening all your boxes in order to find specific items. Also note if the contents are fragile.
- Be ready. Have everything packed before the movers arrive. Dissemble furniture, unplug and prep any appliances.For more helpful tips click the link below.