Moving Tips for Newlyweds!
Happy Valentines Day! In honor of this day, we thought it would be appropriate to give some moving tips to the lovebirds out there that are getting ready to tie the knot. Marriage brings more than just two people together- it is also a union of all of their belongings into one home, which can be an overwhelming process. Both getting married and moving are stressful life events (in a good way!) If they occur at the same time, which is often the case, the stress can double. Planning ahead, proper packing, and organization can ease the stress of the moving process so that couples can enjoy the honeymoon a little bit longer. Here are some tips on how to ensure that wedded bliss continues throughout your move:
1. Don’t procrastinate: Although it is tempting to focus all of your energy on the wedding and honeymoon, don’t forget to focus some of your attention on your upcoming move. Start planning and getting ready at least six weeks in advance of you move. Waiting to the last minute to prepare for your move will dramatically increase the stress on everyone.
2. Take inventory of your belongings: Before your move, take inventory of all of your belongings and have your spouse do the same. Each person should then make a list of the items that they want to keep. Compare lists so that you can see where items overlap. You can save a good amount of time and money by getting rid of any duplicate items before you start packing.
3. Visualize your new home. Compare the amount of space in your new home with that of your current home. Try to visualize where you’ll place your furniture and other items to determine which items you should bring with you, and which items you should sell, give away, or store.
4. Take an emotional break if needed. Parting with certain belongings can be difficult, especially during the emotional time of preparing for marriage. If needed, give yourself a one week break before going through your items again with a more critical eye. Once you get accustomed to the idea of parting with certain things, it may be easier to make a final decision.
5. Get some help! Consider hiring a professional mover (preferably Sorensen Mayflower!) to help you with your move. We will come to your home, walk you through the moving process, and give you a price estimate up front. Then, allow us to carefully pack and move all of your belongings (including wedding gifts such as china and crystal!) Hiring a professional mover takes much of the stress of moving away and enables you to focus your attention on your relationship.
Happy Valentines Day from Sorensen Mayflower. We hope that your day is filled with lots of love!
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!