Are you getting ready for your big move and you’re not quite sure where to start? Here is a packing list with tips that you may find helpful in order to get you started.
· First, gather all of your packing supplies before you start. (This beats having to stop in between packing to grab tape, boxes, a marker, etc.)
· Be sure to pack the heavier items on the bottom of the box.
· Stuff socks, scarves, pillow cases and other types of linens in holes and crevices within the boxes. (This adds protection against your goods. It also keeps them from sliding and shifting.)
· Make sure all boxes can close properly and are able to be sealed flat. (If you over-pack a box, you risk damage to the contents.)
· If you’re transferring liquids, check with your moving company first to see which items cannot be shipped.
· Make sure to put liquids into a sealable container and secure by taping it down, put it into a sealed bag. Make sure to mark the box with arrows and label it “This End Up”.
· Keep an inventory list of each box and its contents. (This will be necessary if a box goes missing and you need to make a claim.)
· Keep a box labeled “Load last, unload first” for the essentials you’ll need when you arrive.
· Keep important records with you. Do not pack them. If you cannot take them with you, then send them ahead with a secure courier company.
· Tape screws and bolts to the back of the furniture you removed them from. Make sure you put them in a bag first.
· Keep tools you’ll need to reassemble furniture in a separate box. (There’s nothing worse than arriving to your new home late at night, wanting to put the bed together and not knowing where the screwdriver is.)
· Do not use standard garbage bags! They rip and tear too easily. If you’re going to pack linens and clothing in garbage bags, purchase the thicker, heavy ones to ensure they don’t burst during the move. Or double up. The great thing about garbage bags full of clothing is that they can be squished into nooks and holes that exist on the truck, protecting furniture and using less space.
· Keep items from the same room together as much as possible. This will make it easier to sort the contents after you move.
· Get everyone involved by making a task list, divide out the jobs that each person can do. Organizing will not only save you time and energy, but will make your whole family feel like part of this adventure.
· Get started now! It’s never too late to plan, sort and start packing.
Please don’t hesitate to visit our website in order to learn more about the services we can provide to you or your company, as we service local, out of state, corporate, commercial and international moves.