The weather’s balmy. The smell of Clorox is in the air. Ahhh… It can only mean one thing — it’s time to spring clean! Whether you’re preparing for a summer move or you’re just eager to dust off the cobwebs and give your home a good floor-to-ceiling scrubbing, we’re here to lend you a hand.
The following is your room-by-room guide to a sparkling, spotless home. Keep in mind that some items may not apply to you, and others may be missing — so feel free to adjust this list as you see fit.
- Throw away food that has expired from the pantry and refrigerator.
- Throw away food storage containers that are stained or missing lids.
- Take food out of the refrigerator and wipe fridge down with a disinfectant.
- Wipe down all refrigerator door and handles with a disinfectant.
- Deep clean and de-grease all kitchen appliances, including the microwave, oven, stove, and dishwasher.
- Dust cabinet shelves, stove vents, and refrigerator coils.
- Wipe down counters and sink with disinfectants.
- Sweep, vacuum and mop floors.
- Clean window treatments and wash the insides of windows.
- Remove toys, clothes, and other items that don’t belong in the living room and put them in their proper place.
- Organize movies, CDs, and video games. Throw away any old magazines and newspapers.
- Wash cushions, pillows, and blankets.
- Vacuum and shampoo carpets and rugs.
- Clean blinds and window treatments.
- Dust electronics, tables, lamps and picture frames.
- Clean the fireplace. The National Fire Protection Association recommends having your chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned annually.
- Rotate the mattresses.
- Declutter drawers and closets. Donate any items of clothing that you have not worn in the last year.
- Wash sheets, pillows, and comforter.
- Clean the ceiling and walls (including air vents, light fixtures and switch plates)
- Clean curtains and/or blinds.
- Wipe down mirrors and windows.
- Dust bedroom furniture, including the bed, dresser, nightstand — and don’t forget the ceiling fan!
- Properly dispose of expired medications and makeup.
- Organize health and beauty products.
- Clean and disinfect the toilet, sinks, counters, and shower/ bathtub.
- Wash shower curtain in the washing machine.
- Dust and clean towel racks, toilet paper dispenser, curtain rod, medicine cabinet, and shelves.
- Mop bathroom floor.
What to Clean in Every Room
- Clean your baseboards.
- Wash the walls (make sure to use something mild that won’t damage the paint).
- Clean all windows and window treatments — and blinds, if you have them.
- Clean and dust vents, ceiling fans and light switch covers.
- Clean and dust the ceiling, paying particular attention to corners where dust can accumulate.
Preparing for a move? Trust the moving experts at Sorensen Moving & Storage
No matter where you’re moving — whether it’s across the country or across the street — you can trust us to provide dependable, affordable moving services. It all starts with a free, no-obligation quote. Get yours today!