Note: Moving during COVID-19 requires extra precautions. Make sure to wear a mask, keep social distance and follow CDC guidelines. Read more in our post on moving during a pandemic.
The moving process can involve a rollercoaster of emotions. In fact, the psychological stress of moving is well documented. But when it comes to the main event — moving day — it’s easy to let your nerves get the best of you.
Luckily, there are a number of ways you can help proactively quell your anxieties and get through the day with a clear, level head. The following are 10 ways you can help alleviate stress on moving day.
- Finish ALL packing before moving day (unless you’re hiring pros). The most important thing you can do to ensure a stress-free moving day is to leave nothing unpacked. All items that will be going on the moving truck should be packed, taped, labeled and ready to go. If you’re hiring professionals to pack some or all of your belongings, make sure you have everything organized and ready by the time the packers arrive.
- Create a moving day kit. This kit should include items like paper towels, box cutters, tape, scissors, cleaning supplies, trash bags, etc. Keeping this handy will help you stay organized on moving day.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Comfort should be your top priority on moving day. Make sure to wear lace-up shoes that provide adequate support for your feet and ankles. Even if you aren’t going to be doing much heavy lifting or maneuvering, you shouldn’t underestimate the value of a comfortable sneaker on moving day.
- Find someone to watch the kids (and pets!). If you have kids and/or pets, the last thing you want to deal with is keeping tabs on them while you’re instructing movers and figuring out logistics. The less you have to deal with on moving day, the better. So, make sure to figure out plans for the kids in advance.
- Coordinate with your moving specialist. One of the perks of using Sorensen for your next move is that you’ll get access to a relocation specialist dedicated to ensuring a seamless move from beginning to end. Make sure you communicate and concerns or changes that may come up along the way. And keep in mind that they are there for you, so don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions along the way.
- Designate a ‘no-pack zone’. This is where you’ll keep things like your moving days essentials box, your purse and other important items you don’t want on the truck. Make sure everyone who is helping — from your family to the movers — knows not to touch anything in the “no-pack zone.”
- Keep it fun. Do whatever you need to do to keep the mood light, whether it’s playing music or taking snack breaks.
- Before you say goodbye for good, take a photo or two. Even if you’re not the sentimental type, you’ll be glad to have that memory to look back on years down the road.
- Leave a note for the new owners. This is a great activity you can involve the kids in as well. This can be anything from jotting down your favorite memories of the home to little quirks they may appreciate knowing.
- Don’t forget to breathe — and drink plenty of water. It may sound simple, but staying hydrated and remembering to take deep breaths to ground your thoughts when you’re feeling stressed can have a surprisingly positive impact on your well-being. And the better you’re feeling, the better everyone around you will feel.
Leave Moving Day to Us
At Sorensen Moving & Storage, we’re committed to providing service that exceeds your expectations. If you’re planning a Florida move, an out-of-Florida move — or even an out-of-the-country move — we have the experience and expertise to get you where you need to go. Get a fast, free virtual moving quote today.