It’s no secret that the holidays can be hectic. But adding moving to the mix? That’s enough to make anyone a Grinch sympathizer. The good news is, there are steps you can take today to make your holiday move a lot less daunting and a bit more cheerful.
1. Create a plan. The key to being successful at anything is to organize what must be done and when it needs to be done. We suggest writing down all your holiday must dos/wants as well as packing plans on one calendar. By using one calendar you will have an overview of everything that needs to be done before and after your move.
2. Start the process as early as possible. The moving process can be filled with surprises, so it’s best to start as early as possible. The earlier you start, the more time you’ll have to tie up any loose ends and take care of the inevitable issues that can pop up. Rely on your calendar from the previous step to determine the best days to pack and organize so that you still have time to spend with family and friends.
3. Choose decorations that can move with you. Moving during the holidays doesn’t mean you should completely eliminate holiday cheer from your home. However, when thinking about decorations, consider using only those that will be easy to move with you. The last thing you want to do is unpack decorations and then repack them all at the last minute. For example, rather than unboxing all of your ornaments, consider a simple tree with a few lights. And instead of garland and outdoor lights, add a simple wreath to your door.
4. Don’t take on more than you can handle. Moving is a great excuse to avoid hosting gatherings. Embrace a minimalized holiday and lean on friends and family for help. Remember, there’s only so much you can do, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you’re not able to maintain every family holiday tradition. If you can, try to mix in some fun family activities you can all get out and do together — because you’ll appreciate the break as well!
5. Don’t stress the unpacking. Make sure you know which boxes are most important and label them “unpack first”, but as for the rest, you can get to them when you have time. After all, you just survived a big move and you deserve time to enjoy the holidays with your family. You can also give yourself the gift of professional packing and unpacking services offered by Sorensen to make the entire process as fast and stress-free as possible.
Planning a Holiday Move with Sorensen
At Sorensen, we’re here to make every move as stress-free as possible — even during the holidays. For more information on how we can help make your holiday move easier click the link below.