We always recommend having professional movers pack and move your belongings to your new home. However, we also understand that having a moving company pack for you may be out of your budget. If you do decide to pack your belongs yourself, we recommend you use the following tips to keep your move organized.
- Start packing for your move early. Deciding when to start packing can be difficult. The last thing you want is to have an entire house to pack a few days before your move. You don’t really know how much stuff you have until it comes time to pack and move it all!
- Create a game plan that suits your schedule. We recommend packing away each item you don’t use on a regular basis a month before your move date. Items used more frequently should be progressively packed the week before your move. Items used on a daily basis should be packed in a bag the day before your move. Packing these items in a bag will allow you to easily access them before, during, and after the move.
- Fill your boxes carefully. Many self packers tend to pack heavy items in large boxes, but the opposite is recommended. Fill large boxes with light stuff such as pillows and linens. Fill small boxes with heavier items like books. If you overload a large box the box is likely to break. Smaller boxes for heavier items provides more stability and are easier to lift.
- Do not empty your dressers. By leaving your clothes in your drawers you save the movers a lot of time and effort. This will also save you money because you won’t have to buy extra boxes. We do recommend emptying drawers that have paperwork, pens, or electronics. These types of items tend to roll around and can easily be damaged.
- Don’t pack air. To ensure that your items are secure it is best practice to fill each box completely; this leaves no room for your items to shift during the moving process. Leaving air pockets may lead to broken belongings. We recommend using packing paper to fill those spots. If you don’t have packing paper on hand, some good alternatives include: towels, pillows, or newspaper. When closing each box there should be a little resistance; that’s a good sign that your items are tightly packed and secure.
- Label boxes on two sides. Mark each box with its contents and destination on a minimum of 2 sides. Make these notes as detailed as possible to save you time. Labeling a box “Master Bedroom” will lead to you opening all your boxes in order to find specific items. Also, remember to note if the contents are fragile.
- Be ready. Have everything packed before the movers arrive. Dissemble furniture, unplug and prep any appliances.
Good luck with your move! We’ll be ready to help should you need us!
For more helpful moving tips, click the link below.